Friday 11 December 2009

Depressed text?

Are you ever stopped short by a word or phrase?

I've just recalled a phrase I heard a designer use a while ago. He wanted to "de-boss" some text. I guess this seemed the logical opposite of "emboss", so meaning text that is the opposite of raised. Is that "intaglio"? Which, admittedly, sounds a bit pompous. I haven't checked (nor heard it used again), but wonder what is used to describe text that is "impressed" or (perhaps) "depressed".

Came across this today, while struggling to learn how to edit my website (in Dreamweaver);

Text options:
Indent
Outdent........  
Outdent?  I guess that if "indent" takes text away from the margin, "outdent" means to take text towards the left margin ....
I also noticed this recently:

(Published by mediabistro, an online editorial site:)
Who'd a thunk the highly publicized new TV comedy series starring movie cutie Heather Graham would get axed in record time: one week?

Quite like that, in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment