Saturday 16 January 2010

Dark Star Safari

This week I have been mostly reading Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari. Excellent observation of Africa in the raw, by someone who used to live and work there, so has an insight beyond the tourist/traveller. Reminding me of when I lived there as a child. Rather impressive literary references throughout, as you would expect from such an author;certainly making me feel poorly read. Though I confess some sad pleasure at spotting a literary mistake. At one point (halfway through Chapter 8: Figawi Safari on the Bandit Road) he says, "In Thomas Hardy's novel Jude the Obscure, the doomed and starving village children leave a note, Because we are too menny ".  My recollection of the story is that this is not described as some common practice by a number of children, but that Jude's young son kills his younger siblings, and then himself, leaving a note: "Done because we are too menny". But I don't suppose PT will be rushing to ask me to edit his books in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment